Our NHS services
In addition to our private service, Hearbase offers hearing aid assessment and fitting to NHS patients under Choose and Book. Our NHS clinic locations are in the top menu bar under branches.
Methods of referral
- Electronic Choose and Book. You will find us in the category Hearing Aid Assess and Fit in Diagnostic Physiological Measurement
2. By email to email@example.com
3. By letter to Hearbase, 140 Sandgate Road, Folkestone, CT20 2TE
The patient must be:
- Over 18 in South East Kent
- No wax or discharge
- No perforations
- No unilateral tinnitus
- No vertigo
How to refer
Write a letter explaining the situation and send it to Hearbase Ltd via post, email or Choose and Book. On receiving the referral we will see the patient within four weeks. If any contra-indications are identified we will tell you of any further action required. If hearing aids are needed and we are able to proceed, we may be able to fit on the initial assessment day. If not, the next appointment will be arranged within four weeks.
Detailed Referral Criteria
British Academy of Audiology Guidelines for Referral to Audiology of Adults with Hearing Difficulty Contra-indications for referral:
- If these contra-indications are picked up by yourselves, a referral to ENT is firstly required. If they are identified by audiology we will advise you to refer the patient to ENT.
- Persistent pain affecting either ear (defined as earache lasting more than seven days in the past 90 days before appointment).
- History of discharge other than wax from either ear within the last 90 days.
- Sudden loss or sudden deterioration of hearing (sudden = one week, in which case send to A&E or Urgent Care ENT clinic).
- Rapid loss or rapid deterioration of hearing (rapid = 90 days or less).
- Unilateral or asymmetrical, or pulsatile or distressing tinnitus lasting more than five minutes at a time.
- Troublesome tinnitus which may lead to sleep disturbance or be associated with symptoms of anxiety or depression.
- Abnormal auditory perceptions (dysacuses).